My first year here,
I refused to shell out the money for winter gear. I was convinced that my long pants that I had always worn was just fine. Truth - I almost froze to death - or it sure felt like it.
So my 2nd year year, I went to the Under Armour store. Not saying that UA is the only cold gear or the best, but it's what I use, and I have found it to do it's job.
So this is what works for me:
1. Layers - I have a tendency to overdress sometimes. So I have found that layering is the way to go. If I get too hot I can take off a layer, drop it off if I'm running loops near the car/house, or I can tie it around me.
2. Cold gear is awesome. My problem was my lower half of my body. The top half I could pile on the layers. The lower half was freezing without cold gear pants. So I wear cold gear - it really has made a difference for me. I will occasionally put on an extra layer depending on just how cold it is. For sub 0 temps, I will put on a base layer, cold gear, and top that with sweat pants. Like I said this is what works for me.
3. Cover your heard. If it's cold out, I always wear a hat. And sometimes I will even wear a balaclava hat. It does really make a difference.
4. Gloves - usually 2 pair - and hand warmers if it's frigid out. My hands are always freezing. So I'm always usually double gloved. And I have been known to put hand warmers in my gloves also. They really help. Since my Hubby is a hunter, he usually always has some hand warmers around somewhere.
5. Hydrate. I think that people forget that you need to hydrate even in the winter. So make sure to stay hydrated.
6. Screw Shoes - These are my latest addition, and I couldn't believe how helpful they really were. They are super easy to make, and I won't run outside this Winter without them.
I have to say, that so far I'm truly enjoying running in the Winter this year. Granted my runs have been short and sweet since I'm coming back from injury. But the views are breathtaking - I am totally in love with snow, and the cold air in my lungs has made me very thankful to be alive.
Share this on Facebook?
If you like my blog, or this post, please take a moment to share it with friends. I'm a small blog, trying to find my way in the big Internet - one step at a time.